What should I think about when choosing a tempo?
One way to choose a tempo is to experiment with what sounds good. But, there may be additional considerations.
- What should I think about when choosing a tempo?
- How do I choose a tempo if someone is going to rap over a beat?
- How might a tempo of a beat relate to genre?
- Watch the following Lyricology video. As you watch:
- Take notes on the adjectives Andre Gainer uses to describe the tempos and genres.
- Andre Gainer is describing tempo and beats per minute (BPM) in relation to a rapper’s flow and preference.
There are different considerations when choosing a tempo for rappers such as the rate of delivery of words (flow) and matching the emotion of the track.
As a beatmaker, you want to think about the feel that you are going for and what tempo you should use
- Check out DJ TLM’s perspective on the relationship between BPM and Hip Hop, R&B, and House music:
What do you think about what DJ TLM is saying about BPM and tempo?
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- You do not need to submit anything for this XP
- You should be able to discuss some considerations for choosing a tempo for a beat
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Discuss some considerations for choosing a tempo for a beat.
Return to the XP How do I choose a tempo when making a beat?