How can I figure out the tempo of music or a beat?
Sometimes we will know the tempo of music because it is listed somewhere or the technology we are using can tell us. Other times we might need to figure it out on our own.
- How can I figure out the tempo of music I am listening to?
- Why is it important to know the tempo of music?
- Why should I think about the tempo of the beat I am making?
- Observe the following video, which features different genres of electronic music:
- Pause the video after listening to each example and try to guess the tempo of the song
- Now open the following BeatsPerMinute Tap Tempo tool
- On this site, tap your space bar at different tempos – see if you can keep it steady — try different speeds and watch what happens
- This takes practice so don’t worry if you can’t tap at a steady tempo
- Try tapping steady at 60 BPM
- Try tapping steady at 120 BPM
- Try tapping steady at 136 BPM
- Don’t worry if you forgot what BPM is, you can review the first XP on choosing tempo
- Now, listen to the video again
- With beatsperminuteonline tap the space bar to find out the tempo of each example
- Write down the BPM of each example
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- You do not need to submit anything for this XP
- You should be able to figure out the tempo of music you are listening to
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Show someone how you are able to figure out the tempo of music you are listening to
- Discuss why you might want to know the tempo of music when you are making beats
Return to the XP How do I choose a tempo when making a beat?