How can I find and keep the beat when I jam?
While finding the beat in most music is pretty easy, you may experience some music where it’s not as obvious. The same goes with keeping the beat, it takes practice!
- How do you find the beat when you jam?
- How do you keep the beat so you’re in synch with others and the music?
- Watch a video of your favorite musician. Can you tell how they keep the beat?
- Do the same for another few musicians you like. Do they keep the beat differently? How can you tell?
- Now watch the video below on finding and keeping the beat:
- As you watch the video do the following:
- Every time you hear the music, move with it if you can
- Tap a toe inside your show if you want to be less obvious about it
- Figure it out if you feel the groove without moving
2. What can you learn from watching your musical heroes keep the beat?
Share What you Learned
If you are using the LRNG platform:
- You do not need to submit anything for this XP
- You should be able to demonstrate how you can feel and keep the beat
If you are not using the LRNG platform:
- Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Demonstrate how you can feel and keep the beat
Return to the XP What skills will help me improvise and jam?