How will my instrument work for making music?
When you create an instrument, it is important to test it out by making music and hearing how it works.
- How well does the instrument work for making music?
- What do I like about my instrument?
- How can I improve my instrument?
Try out each of your sounds/instruments with the following process:
- Make up a simple pattern (riff) with the computer keyboard keys to play a melody
- Try playing your simple pattern (riff) with the instruments you created.
- Record yourself playing a same simple riff with each instrument you created.
- You can video or audio record yourself with a smartphone
- You could also use a basic free audio recording program such as audacity.
- Take some notes about what you like about the instrument and how it sounds with the riff.
- Also take some notes about what types of changes you might want to make to your sound/instruments.
Share What you Learned
Continue below and share with your teacher or organization:
Sharing What You Learned
- Share a recording of your favorite of your three instruments playing the riff
- Comment on the instrument you like best and explain why you like it best
- Comment on any changes you might want to make to the instrument
Return to the music learning mini playlist on Controlling Characteristics of Sound