How can I connect music with my own heritage and culture?
- What do I know about my own heritage and culture?
- What do I know about the music of my heritage and culture?
- How can I connect music with my own heritage and culture and my life today?
- What are current day issues for me and my community that this I can connect with music and culture?
- Think back to the first XP in the Connecting Music and Culture playlist and what you remember or know about the music of your own heritage and culture
- Then, think about how some of indigenous artists you listened to connected aspects of their culture and music with contemporary times.
- Now, find out what music is a part of your heritage, lineage, or culture
- You can ask family members
- You can also use the internet and libraries to research the music of your heritage, lineage, or culture
- Listen to as much of this music as you can and get to know it
- Create a playlist of the music that is representative of your heritage, lineage, and culture
- Consider sharing your playlist
- If you share your playlist, post some descriptions of how the music connects with your heritage, lineage, and culture
- Express how this music makes you feel
- Brainstorm some ideas of how you could connect this music to issues facing you and your community
- Choose some music you might want to spend more time with
Share What you Learned
- In writing or with a video selfie, choose 2 – 3 songs from your playlist
- As you listen to the songs, describe them and how they relate to your heritage or culture
- As you listen to the songs, describe how they make you feel
Curious about learning more?
Go Further! (optional) Explore how you connect music with your own heritage and culture by creating new music.
Go Further! (optional) How can we respond to cultural stereotypes or tropes in music?
Return to the Connecting Music and Culture Music Learning Playlist