How can I build community with music where I live?
It doesn’t take much to start building community with others. Decide you want to make it happen and then make it happen!
- What does it take to build community with others through music?
- Who can I make music with?
- Review the characteristics of Son Jarocho and Fandangos that help build community through music
- Find 2 – 10 other friends, family, or people in your community who will commit to making music together
- Pick a meaningful song you all want to learn together
- Meet up 3 times (or more) to practice and make music together
- There is no need to perform the music for others but feel free to invite others to participate!
- When you meet up, also talk about the song and how it relates to your lives
- Let each other know how the song is meaningful to you
- Do something fun together at least once after you sing together
Share What you Learned
- Share an audio or video clip of where you describe what it is like to get together and sing with other people
- Briefly describe, how this is a way of connecting music, culture, and community
Return to the XP: How can music build community?