How do I get started making a beat? Part 3
There’s no one “right” way to get started making beats. Here are a couple of ways that others get started. Try them out and see what works for you.
Here are three ways you can get started making a beat.
- Messing around with sound right away
- Listening to a beat you like and trying to make your own version
- Using tutorials to learn how to make a type of beat
Now we’re going to try. . .
Using tutorials to learn how to make a type of beat
You can find all kinds of beat making tutorials online.
Text and Pictures
Some tutorials have step by step instructions with text and pictures like Attack Magazine’s Beat Dissected tutorial on Dark R&B.
Other tutorials are in the form of videos with explanations like this “Making of Drake’s “Sneakin” With London On Da Track Deconstructed”
Take a look at some of these tutorials
Find your own tutorials online by using search terms such as:
“Beat tutorial” “beat deconstructed” “how to make the [fill in the blank] beat”
Note: Not all tutorials are high quality so if you find your own, keep track of the youtube channels or sites that you like best so you can return to them.
Share What You Learned
- Write a brief post or share a video selfie that explains what tutorials you used to get started making a beat?
- What was it like using tutorials to make a beat? How were the tutorials helpful?
- What other resources or information do you think would be helpful?