We’re constantly tapping and knocking on things but have you ever stopped to really listen to the sound that an object makes when it is hit, knocked, tapped, or lightly touched?
- How does the material of an object impact the way it sounds?
- Select 3 objects in your local environment (indoors or outdoors)
- Imagine what they will sound like when you tap/knock/hit/strike/brush them
- Experiment with all the ways you can get sound out of the objects
- Ask yourself: How does the material of the object impact the way it sounds?
Check out some videos of people hitting (or knocking/tapping/brushing) things to make sounds!
- How does the material of the object factor in it’s sound?
- What else might factor in the way the object can make sound?
Go Even Further
Look at objects in your environment and imagine what they could sound like if you are creative with them!
Listen in on how sound artist, Diego Stoco takes everyday objects and uses them to create new types of sound:
Share What You Learned
- Write about OR share a video selfie of you tapping or striking 3 different objects
- Explain how the material of the object impacts its sound